Info Center

Description of Christ the King Lutheran Church


General history: Christ the King Lutheran was formed in 1970 in the merger of Hope Lutheran Church and Messiah American Lutheran Church. Both of the merging congregations were originally affiliated with the American Lutheran Church.


Hope Lutheran Church had its beginning in 1910 when five families, who had moved to the area south of Dodge City from southeast Nebraska, gathered together in one of the homes for its organization. A house of worship was built in 1927, and a large addition to the church building was constructed in 1953 as the size of the congregation steadily grew. That building was moved in 1978 to a site behind the Good Samaritan Home in Dodge City.


Messiah American Lutheran Church was started as a mission church in Dodge City by the ALC in 1953, when five families from Hope Lutheran Church, transferring as missionaries, joined with other Lutherans in Dodge City to form the congregation; the first church building was constructed in 1956 on the present site of Christ the King. Rapid growth of the congregation created a need for an expansion project in 1960 of a new sanctuary.


In 1979 Christ the King dedicated a new sanctuary, which includes a basement for Sunday School classrooms, and where the congregation currently worships. The original church building is now office and kitchen area. The 1960 addition is now the fellowship hall.


Christ the King joined LCMC in March of 2001.  In September 2009 the congregation formally left the ELCA following the second congregational vote to no longer be a part of the ELCA.


 Christ the King Chronicle

  September 2021  
Bible Search